Sunday, January 31, 2010

Ruffled Milk Pie




Modified by Denny--I couldn't get this to work for me, so I mixed it up myself with the following and it came out YUMMY. The original recipe called for 14 inch pie pan and I don't own one that BIG! I use 1/2 box of the organic phyllo dough. It comes frozen at Whole Foods and I cut in 1/2 while frozen and return the rest to the freezer. Then I let it thaw out. I use this phyllo as my topping for my chicken pot pie too.

Ingredients
Makes one 9-inch pie
6 tablespoons melted unsalted Butter
8 to 9 sheets store-bought phyllo
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for dusting
1 1/2 cups whole milk
4 large eggs
1/4 generous cup superfine sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting (about 2tablespoons)


Directions
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush a 9-inch round cake pan or pie pan with some of the melted butter; set aside.



2.Place 1 sheet of phyllo dough on work surface with one long side parallel to edge of work surface. Using your hands, loosely ruffle phyllo by pushing short sides towards one another to create a long cylindrical shape. Place upright in center of prepared cake pan creating a spiral. Repeat process with remaining sheets, continuing spiral outwards until bottom of pan is covered.
3.Using a pastry brush, brush remaining clarified butter all over phyllo in pan; sprinkle with cinnamon. Transfer to oven and bake until golden brown, 15-20 minutes.



4.Meanwhile, heat milk in a medium saucepan until it just barely begins to boil; remove from heat. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar. Gradually add heated milk, a little bit at a time, whisking constantly; whisk in vanilla.



5.Spoon milk mixture over baked phyllo, evenly covering surface. Return pan to oven and bake until filling has set, 20-25 minutes more. Dust with confectioners' sugar and cinnamon; serve immediately.



From The Martha Stewart Show, November 2009

1 comment:

  1. That sounds wonderful! Very much like buttermilk pie. A great dessert for sure.

    ReplyDelete